Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The "Casey Effect" - Day 332

You had to live under a rock to be unaware that yesterday was a momentous day for American society.  The verdict was in on the latest "trial of the century".  I have to admit I did not get caught up in the Casey Anthony trial fervor.  I was pretty darn close to living under that rock.  I could not pick Jose Baez out of a line up.  I never watched one moment of the coverage.  It was too depressing to me.  The loss of a child.  A family torn apart.  And all the while society hanging on every salacious word.  I drove by the courthouse and just shook my head.  Grand stands set up for the perfect camera angle.  Media trucks everywhere.  Computers were tuned in to the live feed everywhere I went.  All day.  Everyday during the trial.

Thankfully I was on the road when the verdict was read...isolated from the craziness by my sports talk radio.  My husband Mike was not so lucky.  He was at a car dealership waiting to pick up his car when the world came to a halt.  He witnessed the mob mentality.  The anger and hate.  The rush to judgement.  He carried it home with him and to the restaurant for dinner last night. 

Here we were two people that didn't follow the trial for one moment having a heated discussion over someone we didn't even know.  Mike wants to give up on society.  He dreams of a secluded island with 6,000 dogs and me.  I want to give society a hug.  Mike could not shake the image of the dealership mob.  I was trying to understand his position.  We were somehow engulfed in the "Casey Effect" and it was a miserable place to be.

I can only imagine how society must feel today.  No live feed to watch.  No speculation.  No drama.  They will have to go back to their own lives.  I think we need a group hug!

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment