Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Friend Chris - Day 331

If you have ever paid a visit to the Heartsong Cookies booth at Lake Mary or Maitland Farmers' Market, you may have had the good fortune to meet my friend Chris.  Chris is my sidekick in cookie sales and a very special guy.

When Chris was a wee lad something happened with his brain development leaving him...as some people describe..."challenged".  I have never felt comfortable with this description and have wrestled with a better word for years.

A recent event helped me to discover the perfect description for Chris.  A week ago Chris spent the weekend with us so he could help out with both markets.  He gleefully volunteered to accompany me to the kitchen Saturday night to bake the last few batches of cookies for my Maitland Farmers' Market debut.  We cranked out the remaining cookies in record time.  I baked.  Chris cleaned.  We made the perfect team.  After reveling in our symbiotic relationship, we headed out the door for a Jeremiah's Italian Ice reward.  Unfortunately, fate had other plans for us.

We were greeted in the parking lot by a young man with a knife who demanded Chris' wallet or he would stab him.  My motherly instinct kicked in instead of common sense.  I told the robber "NO!" and pulled Chris back toward the kitchen door.  "NO!" I shouted again.  Thankfully my antics attracted some attention from the Austin's Coffee crowd and the robber turned and ran.  Chris and I made it back into the kitchen, called 911 and within minutes the police arrived with the K9 unit, roads were blocked and a search helicopter circled overhead.  I helped Chris fill out his incident report and we headed to the police department to help with the composite.  It was scary...surreal really.  Like being part of a crime show.

Needless to say I could not sleep that night.  I replayed the event over and over and over again.

Chris slept like a baby.  He lives in the moment and does not hang on to excess baggage in that brain of his.  He will not have to deal with the trauma of revisiting the kitchen event over and over like I do.  Suddenly the description of Chris became clear.  Chris is "mentally enhanced".  He lives a blissful life of simplicity.  I am rather envious of him right now.

Thankfully Chris and I both left the kitchen that night physically unscathed...and thankfully Chris left the kitchen with the same blissful spirit with which he entered.  But most of all, thankfully Chris is in my life and I am forever better for it!

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment