Wednesday, June 8, 2011

An Open Heart - Days 302-304

This morning when I looked in the mirror I noticed something new.  Not a wrinkle, a freckle, a bag or a sag.  I noticed a smile and happy eyes.  What a great way to start a day...and such a contrast to the image staring back at me the last few months.

I began to reflect on the journey to this smile and the smile grew bigger.  The week began with a memorable night of baking with my new friend Linda and her daughter Alicia.  We giggled, talked and commiserated...all the while channeling the positive energy into some pretty amazing cookies.  B3 and friends were the lucky beneficiaries the next day.

Tuesday was equally smile worthy.  I met Ryan and my friend Lynne at Lake Lily for dinner at the Food Truck Pod.  From 6-9 p.m. every Tuesday a group of 6-7 food trucks gather around the lake for a night of fun, food, music and community building.  This is America at its best...a potpourri of flavors coming together...from Korean bar-b-q to a decadent bacon cheeseburger tucked between two Krispy Kreme donuts...fish tacos to bacon brown sugar fries.  There was something for every palate.

We settled on a table across from the Yum Yum Cupcake Truck to soak it all in.  The positive energy was palpable.  Smiles were plentiful and the food was actually quite good.  Ryan and Lynne tackled the fish tacos.  I went for a little more adventure...a sampling of small plates that included a grilled chicken skewer topped with hoisin, a herbaceous chimichurri and tempura bits, duck prosciutto bruschetta topped with tomato jam and creme fraiche and a wild ramp flatbread with garlic aioli...all washed down with blueberry soda.  Dessert was a delightfully sweet treat from my kitchen mates at Yum Yum, an Orange Dreamcicle cupcake  - yellow cake with a vanilla cream filling and orange frosting.

After dinner, Ryan headed home and Lynne and I made a beeline for Antonio's to share a bottle of Pinot Noir and great conversation.  Lynne has a dream to write a book.  She even has the title, but seems a little stuck...a little reluctant to put it out there.  As I watched her describe her passion for writing I saw the look people comment on when I talk cookies.  Lynne has found the one thing that fills her heart and soul.  Hopefully with a little hope, encouragement and a gentle push, she will jump into the happiness pool and write her little heart out.

I shared with Lynne the source of my recent happy life.  It isn't mystical or profound.  Actually quite simple.  I choose to live my life with an open heart and let all the good people, good food and good times pour right in.  A smile in the mirror is my reward.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment